15 February 2010

Jerusalem, Jerusalem

Monday, February 15

As I leave Jerusalem, I am actually a bit sad.  I’ve grown to love this strange city and this entire land, and I wish I could stay at least another week here in Jerusalem to get to know her holy sites more.

But, it is time to go.  I’ve had a good time here, and I know that God has given me many graces from this utterly unique experience – above all a love for Scripture and the history of the people whom he came to visit 2000 years ago.  I am certain that these memories will be with me forever, especially every time I pray the Liturgy of the Hours and the psalms and readings remind me of the many places I have been, and how God made himself known in them.

And one day, hopefully soon, I wish to return again to this place, to be once again with our mother, the land where Jesus himself walked and lived.  I will certainly allow this experience influence how I tell people about everything in Scripture and the history of salvation, and I would love to bring people here to see for themselves how God has visited his people.

But, it is time to go. 

 

This week I will be travelling to Turin, Avignon, and Lourdes.  Next week, I will be in Rome.  Finally, I will be making a retreat in Ars, the city of Saint John Vianney.  I’ll keep you all posted.

1 comment:

  1. Do you plan to bring back any holy water from Lourdes?

    ReplyDelete