04 December 2009

My Portion and Cup

Day 1
Bethlehem

"I say to the Lord, you are my Lord, you are my only good." (Psalm 16:2)

I know many people would expect the first post about Bethlehem to be about the Church of the Nativity and the birth of Christ - but this is not what first came to me.

This morning, around 9:00am, I was praying night prayer in the Catholic side of the Church of the Nativity. (Yes, last night's night prayer. It was 1:00am back home.)

The first thing I prayed in Bethlehem was Psalm 16 - a Psalm of King David.

Keep me safe, O God; in you I take refuge
I say to the Lord, you are my Lord, you are my only good.
Worthless are all the false gods of the land. Accursed are all who delight in them.
They multiply their sorrows who court other gods. Blood libations to them I will not pour out, nor will I take their names upon my lips.
LORD, my allotted portion and my cup, you have made my destiny secure.
Pleasant places were measured out for me; fair to me indeed is my inheritance.
I bless the LORD who counsels me; even at night my heart exhorts me.
I keep the LORD always before me; with the Lord at my right, I shall never be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad, my soul rejoices; my body also dwells secure,
For you will not abandon me to Sheol, nor let your faithful servant see the pit.
You will show me the path to life, abounding joy in your presence, the delights at your right hand forever.


I thought about David, how he could have sung this very psalm while tending the sheep in the hills. Around him were the pagan nations courting favor with their false gods. And here was simple little David in his simple little town with his sheep - completely trusting in God and in the will of God for David.

Perhaps this was written after Samuel had come to anoint young David as King.

David was a simple farm boy, standing on the verge of a great task at the call of the one God whom he served. He had a choice: to stick with the familiar - his family, his flock, his village - or to follow the call of the God whom he served. As the Psalm conveys, he chose to trust.

David trusted God, knowing that he needed nothing more than what the Lord would provide. And it was from this man - this faith - that Christ, the savior of the world, would come.

How fitting it was that Christ should come to this place! City of David, to whom the Messiah was promised. Born in humility, in a stable, and adored by shepherds. Could the coming of Christ have echoed more strongly the faith of David?

No comments:

Post a Comment